Best Self-Help Books
These best self-help books are excellent. It's amazing how much value there can be in an inexpensive but well-chosen book.
We highly recommend these particular books. We have read them all and have each one in our own collection.
The books range from health, fitness, and lasting weight loss to flourishing emotionally, spiritually, morally, and financially.
Our list of self-help books is divided into six sections.
If you are primarily interested in physical health or lasting weight loss, start with the books listed in the first section.
Best self-help books for weight loss including physical well being
We cover a number of topics related to lasting natural weight loss on this website, which has over 150 different pages.
Consult any of the following books for self-help.
As previously indicated, we only recommended books that we consider the very best. We have read them all! Most of these books are available at
(for the USA) and
Amazon.co.uk (for the UK).
- Wright, A. & Bradford, D. Belly Fat Blast: How to Lose Stomach Fat Fast Without Hunger!
- Bradford, D. E. Compulsive Overeating Help: How you can stop Food Cravings, Food Addiction, or Emotional Eating in 6 Simple Steps!
- Bradford, D. How To Eat Less -- Easily!
- Bernstein, R. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution 
- Evans, W., & Rosenberg, I., Biomarkers
- Ivy, J., & Portman, R. Nutrient Timing
- Loehr, J., & Schwartz, T. The Power of Full Engagement
- Pollan, M. The Omnivore's Dilemma
- Challem, J., Berkson, B., & Smith, M. D., Syndrome X
- Barrett, D. Waistland
- Sears, A. P.A.C.E
- Allan, C., & Lutz, W. Life Without Bread
- Bennett, C., & Sinatra, S. Sugar Shock!
- Bortz, W. Dare to Be 100
- Lauren, M. & Clark, J. You are Your Own Gym
- Braly, J., & Hoggan, R. Dangerous Grains
- Cordain, L. The Paleo Diet
- Audette, R. & Gilchrist, T. Neanderthin
- Crane, P. The Ultimate Fat Burning Diet
- Crook, W. Tired So Tired: And the Yeast Connection
- Crook, W. The Yeast Connection: A Medical Breakthrough
- Crook, W., & Dean, C., Crook, E. Yeast Connection and Woman's Health
- Smith, M. Going Against the Grain
- Eades, M., & Eades, M. Protein Power
- Eades, M., & Eades, M. The Protein Power Lifeplan
- Hamer, D., & Copeland, P. Living with our Genes
- Heller, R., & Heller, R. The Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy Heart Program
- Heller, R., & Heller, R. The Carbohydrate Addict's No-Cravings Cookbook
- Holman, S., & Lawson, J. X-Treme Lean
- King, I., & Schuler, L. The Book of Muscle
- Mackarness, R. Eat Fat and Grow Slim
- McRobert, S. Build Muscle Lose Fat Look Great
- Randolph, T. An Alternative Approach to Allergies
- Ross, J. The Diet Cure
- Schlosser, R. Fast Food Nation
- Smith, M. Going Against the Grain
- Standord, C. The Hunting Apes
- Venuto, T. Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle
- Venuto, T., & Benson, J. Fit Over 40
- Wansink, B. Mindless Eating
- Wolf, R. The Paleo Solution
This completes the best self-help books for weight loss or improving physically.
Best self-help books for emotional well-being
Since emotional overeating can be a serious problem, learning how to understand and dissolve negative emotions can be a very important aid in achieving lasting natural weight loss.
- Bradford, D. How to Survive College Emotionally
- Goleman, D. Emotional Intelligence
- Hayes, S. et al. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
- Jeffers, S. Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway
- Larson, J. Depression Free, Naturally
- Lazarus, R., & Lazarus, B. Passion and Reason
- LeDoux, Joseph. The Emotional Brain
- Ross, Julia. The Mood Cure
- Seligman, M. What You Can Change ... And What You Can't
- Solomon, R. The Passions
Best self-help books for spiritual well-being
Please don't confuse being spiritual with being religious. These books have no direct relation to religion; instead, they are about spiritual practices, which are breathing practices. Having an effective spiritual practice is necessary for emotional well-being, which is necessary to avoiding emotional over-eating.
- Begley, S. Train Your Mind Change Your Brain
- Buddha, The. In the Buddha's Words (Selected, translated, and introduced by Bhikkhu Bodhi.)
- Buddha, The. Basic Teachings of the Buddha (Glenn Wallis, ed. & tr.)
- Buddha, The. The Dhammapada (Glenn Wallis, tr.)
- Carlson, R. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... And It's All Small Stuff
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. Flow
- Gallwey, W. T., The Inner Game of Tennis
- Hagan, S. Buddhism Plain & Simple
- Herrigel, E. Zen In the Art of Archery
- Kapleau, P. The Three Pillars of Zen
- Kasulis, T.P., Zen Action Zen Person
- Lao Tzu. Tao Te Ching (J. Star, tr.)
- Leonard, G. Mastery
- Loori, J. D. Involking Reality
- Loori, J. D. Riding the Ox Home
- Matthews, A. Follow Your Heart
- Suzuki, S. Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind
- Taylor, J. B. My Stroke of Insight
- Tolle, E. A New Earth
- Tolle, E. The Power of Now
- Unknown. The Bhagavad Gita (E. Easwaran, tr.)
- Unknown, The Upanisads (E. Easwaran, tr.)
Best self-help books for intellectual well-being
There's a seemingly endless number of books that will enable you to improve your understanding about topics directly or indirectly related to lasting natural weight loss. The following best self-help books are all very readable and require no high degree of formal education. Except for the work by Nagarjuna (which we included because it is so excellent), none are difficult to understand.
- Abram, D. The Spell of the Sensuous
- Bandler, R. Using Your Brain for a Change
- Bradford, D. The 7 Steps to Mastery
- Butler, G, & Hope, T. Managing Your Mind
- Descrates, R. Discourse on Method
- Diamond, J. Collapse
- Diamond, J. Guns, Germs, and Steel
- Dimnet, E. The Art of Thinking
- Gleick, J. Chaos
- Gonzales, L. Deep Survival
- Hedges, B. Read and Grow Rich
- Helmstetter, S. What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
- Koch, R. The 80/20 Principle
- Maltz, M. Psycho-Cybernetics (1st ed.)
- McWilliams, P., & John-Roger. You Can’t Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
- Nagarjuna. The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way (J. Garfield, tr.)
- Norretranders, T. The User Illusion
- Plato, Apology and Gorgias
- Pritchett, P. Hard Optimism
- Prochaska, James O., et al., Changing for Good
- Seligman, M. Learned Optimism
- Stevenson, L., & Haberman, D. Ten Theories of Human Nature (3rd ed.)
- Zweig, C., & Abrams, J., eds., Meeting the Shadow
Best self-help books for moral well-being
These books are primarily about interpersonal relationships. It takes a lot of skill to have excellent interpersonal relationships. Relationships with other people are difficult! Some of the following best self-help books are very concrete while others are more theoretical. All are very interesting as well as useful and readable.
- Aristotle. Nicomachean Ethics
- Bennett, W. J. The Book of Virtues
- Blanton, B., Radical Honesty
- Brown, M. Stone Soup
- Butchvarov, P. Skepticism in Ethics
- Carnegia, D. How to Win Friends & Influence People
- Chapman, G. The Five Love Languages
- Cohen, H. Negotiate This!
- Cohen, H. You Can Negotiate Anything
- Dali Lama, The, The Art of Happiness
- Fein, E., & Schneider, S. The Rules
- Fisher, B. Rebuilding
- Giblin, l. How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
- Giblin, l. Skill With People
- Hazo, R. The Idea of Love
- Koch, P. Solitude
- Lieberman, D. Get Anyone To Do Anything
- Miller, G. The Mating Game
- Moore, G. E. Principia Ethica
- Pease, B. & A. Why Men Don’t Listen and Woman Can’t Read Maps
- Singer, I. The Nature of Love
- Spence, G. How to Argue and Win Every Time
- Sulloway, F. Born to Rebel
Best self-help books for financial well-being
We include these best self-help books because, sometimes, people struggle with being able to afford the right kinds of food or with finding the time to exercise. Increasing your financial wealth will give you more options. Since there are many different kinds of opportunity available for doing that, these books cover a range of different opportunities. We recommend picking just one that well suits you and mastering it.
- Abraham, J. Getting Everything You Can Out of All You’ve Got
- Bayan, R. Words That Sell
- Biehl, B. Stop Setting Goals if You Would Rather Solve Problems
- Bly, R. Become a Recognized Authority in Your Field in 60 Days or Less
- Buckingham, M. & Clifton, D. Now, Discover Your Strengths
- Burg, B. Endless Referrals (3rd ed)
- Burg, B. The Only Prospecting Guide You’ll Ever Need
- Burg, B. Winning Without Intimidation
- Caples, J. Testing Advertising Methods (5th ed.)
- Cialdini, R. Influence (4th ed)
- Coonradt, C. The Game of Work
- Eker, T. H. Secrets of the Millionaire Mind
- Fox, J. Don’t Send a Resume
- Fox, J. How to be a Rainmaker
- Fox, J. Secrets of Great Rainmakers
- Friedman, T. The World is Flat
- Gerber, M. The E-Myth Revisited
- Getty, J. How to Be Rich
- Goldstein, A. So Sue Me!
- Godin, S. Unleashing the Idea Virus
- Hall, C. Timing the Real Estate Market
- Herlitzer, M. Comedy Writing Secrets
- Hill, N. Think & Grow Rich
- Hoffer, E. The True Believer
- Hopkins, C. My Life in Advertising & Scientific Advertising
- Johnson, S. Who Moved My Cheese?
- Kennedy, Diane. Loopholes of the Rich
- Kennedy, D. Big Mouth Big Money
- Kennedy, D. How to Make Millions with Your Ideas
- Kennedy, D. No B.S. Business Success
- Kennedy, D. No.B.S. Marketing to the Affluent
- Kennedy, D. No B.S. Sales Success
- Kennedy, D. No. B.S. Wealth Attraction for Entrepreneurs
- Kennedy, D. The Official Get Rich Guide to Information Marketing
- Kennedy, D. The Ultimate Marketing Plan
- Kiyosaki, R., & Lechter, S. Before You Quit Your Job
- Kiyosaki, R., & Lechter, S. The Business School for People Who Like Helping People (2nd ed)
- Kiyosaki, R., & Lechter, S. The Cashflow Quadrant
- Kiyosaki, R., & Lechter, S. Real Estate Loopholes
- Kiyosaki, R., & Lechter, S. Rich Dad Poor Dad
- Kiyosaki, R., & Lechter, S. Rich Dad’s Guide to Investing
- Klaver, K. If My Product’s So Great How Come I Can’t Sell It?
- Laborde, G. Influencing with Integrity
- Lechter, M. Protecting Your #1 Asset
- Leeb, S. The Coming Economic Collapse
- Levitt, S., & Dubner, S. Freakonomics
- Lindahl, D. Emerging Real Estate Markets
- Meisenheimer, J. The 12 Best Questions to Ask Customers
- Misner, I., & Devine, V. The World’s Best Known Marketing Secret
- Pilzer, P. The Next Trillion
- Pink, D. A Whole New Mind
- Poynter, D. Self-Publishing Manual
- Rackham, N. S.P.I.N. Selling
- Sanders, T. Love Is the Killer App
- Schwab, V. How to Write A Good Advertisement
- Schwartz, D. The Magic of Thinking Big
- Singer, B. Sales Dogs
- Smart, B. Topgrading
- Stanley, T., & Danko, W. The Millionaire Next Door
- Sutton, G. Own Your Own Corporation
- Tracy, B. Something for Nothing
- Tracy, B. The 100 Absolutely Unbreakable Laws of Business Success
- Trout, J. Differentiate or Die
- Williams, R. Secret Formulas of the Wizard of Ads
- Young, J. A Technique for Producing Ideas
We encourage you to make it a habit to read for at least 20 or 30 minutes daily high quality books like these from our list of best self-help books. We are able to confirm what many others have discovered, namely, that doing so will, over time, have a powerful beneficial effect upon the quality of your life.
It's impossible to keep putting yourself in touch with excellent ideas for living better without trying some -- and some that you try will work well for you.
Top Seven Best Self-Help Books for Fat Loss
If you want to know what our Top Seven best self-help
books for weight loss
are, you will find them listed on the 'Best Weight Loss Plans' page [link given above] towards the bottom of the page under the heading ‘Recommended Books for the Best Weight Loss Plans.’
On most pages of our website, we endeavor to recommend the very best books available relating to the topic of each page.
Alternatively, use the link below to return to the first page of our website.
› Best Self-Help-Books
If you are now looking for something more in relation to the best self-help books, you can search our website or the World Wide Web.